Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rewriting Dreams



I am currently reading A Single Voice by Kristen M. Oaks. I am about half way through, and feeling like I am reading a message that was meant for me. I'd recommend it to anyone who is single or to anyone who knows someone who has been single for longer than expected.

Which brings me to my topic... The title of the section I just finished in the book is "Be Ready to Rewrite the Dream."

A few years ago, I read another book titled These Is My Words by Nancy Turner. This is about a girls growing up in frontier America. She loves books and dreams of going to college. Eventually, she marries a good man and starts a family. She watches with some sadness, and a little resentment, as her dream of advanced education slips away. One day, surrounded by her children and loving husband, she realizes that she is happy- that she loves her life- just the way it is. She is filled with joy and gratitude, as she says, "I declare, it is like some other part of me made up some rules about happiness and I just went along with them without thinking. My heart is lightened so much that I am amazed at how sad I felt for so long."

Sister Oaks says that "Our expectations will nearly always differ from the realities that come to us."

So true! I planned to go to college, get my math degree in four years, maybe go on a mission, and then come home and get married. You think you know where you will be in a year, who you will be living with, what kind of a job you'll have, and then life happens.

Sister Oaks quotes a friend who said, "What I dream of and desire often has little to do with the blessings Heavenly Father has in store for me. "
We should have goals, but at times we have to readjust. As we are planning our lives, we need to include the Lord. Adversity may help us to be flexible, and to "clarify what is truly essential and dear to us." I tend to get really comfortable where I am, even if I am not totally happy with it. When I don't seek the changes I need, at times the Lord has kind of pushed me forward by making it impossible to stay put. Sometimes it hurts and I rebel. But, as I adapt, and open myself up to new opportunities, I see the Lord's hand in my life. I am so grateful for the many unexpected blessings that came from the things I haven't planned.

6 comments:

  1. Well said. I agree. I think that's a good perspective to try to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing ever happens as we expect. But life unfolds as it should. For every unexpected pain that hits us, there are also the unexpected blessings that come unplanned. I believe as long we hold faith and trust in our hearts, we're going to be all right.

    Life may knock us around a bit, but as long as we still keep on, nothing will keep us down for long :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love book reviews! I think I'm gonna get this one for my sisters...all three of them, though I think only one will actually read it :(

    Azie, this post helped me too. Because its so true. We all have these expectations of what we think we should have and we think..."if only I had this or that I would be happy." But life is now, if we are not happy now, then we'll never be. Even with Caleb and I stressing about our future needs with him being our of a job (again in less than two years), I need to realize how Heavenly Father has actually provide us with everything we need to be happy. Thanks Azie. Love your posts! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved that book as well. Life is wonderful and there is so much that we can be happy about, even when it is unexpected. Love that picture you found, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anh, so true! Palmyra, glad this helped. I know things will work out for your family. Laura Dawn, life really is wonderful. Thanks again for letting me borrow the book.

    ReplyDelete

The Naming of Henry and Hollis

  Throughout my pregnancy we chose and changed names many times- including Levi, Nathan, Holden, Harvey, Easton, and Weston. We finally...