Thursday, October 12, 2017

Birth Story

We went in to the hospital at 6:30 a.m. At around 8:30, they started me on Pitocin. I think it was around 10 or 11 that Dr. Pennington arrived and put in some kind of balloon device to help me dilate. At that point I was only at 2 cm and this device was supposed to expand and get me to 4.  I started to really feel some pain then and asked for the epidural. The anesthesiologist came in and started asking me questions about what if any medications or supplements I had been taking. When I mentioned that I had been taking garlic capsules to get over a cold, he became concerned. He explained that garlic is a blood thinner, which can cause complications, specifically paralysis, with any kind of spinal anesthesia.Since I had only taken a half dose once or twice in the last couple of weeks, I felt safe going ahead.

I MIGHT have tried to go all natural if it was a single birth.  But, since baby B was not positioned well, the doctor warned that it would be horribly painful to not have an epidural if he ended up having to go in and try to move him. Also, if it ended in an emergency C-section, I would have to be put out completely if I did not already have the epidural going.

After the epidural started, I didn't feel any pain. I hardly knew I was having contractions unless someone told me. The only side affect that bothered me during the day was the shaking, which got worse when I was anxious.

Around 11 in the morning, Mom arrived(Bo and Laura had picked her up from the airport.) After coming in and giving me hugs, she said she had a surprise for me; my Dad! I was so happy to have both my parents with me. I really didn't expect it as I knew he couldn't take much time off and wasn't planning to come.(He bought a ticket at the last minute to come for the weekend.) Hans' mother, Beverly was also there with us for the whole day. She was so sweet and comforting to me. .Bo also came and brought playing cards. We played Bluff(B.S.) for a while which helped take my mind off of things and stop shaking.

Sometime mid-day, I dilated to a 5, but stayed there for several hours. At that point I was afraid we might have to do a C-section or go over into the next day, but eventually, things picked up again and by around 9:30 p.m., I was ready to push. They moved me into the operating room, just in case. Hollis had been in position for weeks and was low in the canal. On the fourth contraction, I was able to feel his little head and by the fifth, he was out! They placed him on my chest for just a few moments. He was so small and warm and sweet. They apologized for the mess(I didn't mind) as they took him away and starting wiping me off.

Hans recalls very vividly Hollis' entry into this world as he seemed so relieved to be able to spread his arms.  It was almost as if he climbed out on his own.  Almost immediately, he began to cry.

Dr. Pennington then started working on Henry, who had not turned as we had hoped. After about a half an hour of trying to get a hold on him so that he could pull him out, the doctor said we couldn't wait any longer. Baby needed to come out. So, they went forward with the C-section.  As they worked, I started having a painful ache in my neck, which the anesthesiologist quickly fixed. Hans asked why I would have pain there and the doctor said "you don't want to know." Later, he explained that the doctor's take the uterus all the way out and place it on the mother's stomach. The air surrounding everything sometimes causes neck pain.  Hans was grateful that he was hiding behind the makeshift curtain they had placed between my face and the procedure.

It seemed like a long time before they got Henry out and they immediately started working on him.  I saw a team of nurses surround him and watched and waited nervously for the sound of a cry or some news of what was going on.  Hans and I were praying intensely and asking others (through social media and texting) to pray for our baby.  Finally, the baby began to cry and they asked Hans to come over and help.  They continued to work on me and told Hans he could take Henry back to the room.  He was surprised as they had taken Hollis directly to the NICU.  Hans asked them why they had taken Hollis to the NICU but Henry could go back to the room.  They then told us that Henry was doing great but Hollis was having some problems breathing and they wanted to monitor him for a while longer.  Hans took Henry back to the room so he could meet my parents and his mother.  Henry's eyes were wide open and he was as quiet as a church mouse.  Everyone was so excited to see him.

I have a hard time remembering all of the details but I was so relieved when I had both of my sweet babes with me. They were both in both in good health and the only concern was Hollis' oxygen levels and a little bit of jaundice.  .

Although I was exhausted and hurting, the time in the hospital was precious. We had several visits from family and a dear friend. I was embarrassed at the loss of bladder control. I made a mess when I stood up because I had no idea, but the nurses were all so patient and kind. I broke down at one point when a nurse asked me about the pain. I was touched by her empathy as she cried with me and spoke words of encouragement. It was unusual as professionalism usually precludes shows of emotion, but it was a meaningful moment for me. My mother was with me the whole time, helping with anything and everything I needed. Whenever I pass by that hospital or think of my time in the maternity ward, I am filled with fond memories of that time, surrounded by love, and getting to know my precious babes when they were so tiny and fragile and sweet and new.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Naming of Henry and Hollis

  Throughout my pregnancy we chose and changed names many times- including Levi, Nathan, Holden, Harvey, Easton, and Weston. We finally...